Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, February 01, 2018

RE-RUN WOMEN'S HEART DISEASE

I am re-running this post from 2009 for my Heart Sisters Barb and Patti.


Go Red For Women, Macy's and CVS Health join together throughout February to raise funds and awareness to end heart disease and stroke for all women

Volunteers and supporters are encouraged to wear red on National Wear Red Day (Friday, Feb. 2)


THIS FRIDAY GO RED

 Heart Disease is the no. 1 cause of death among women according to the latest statistics.

My primary care physician in 2003 was treating me for a long list of complaints. I was taking 400 mg Celebrex for arthritis, I was being referred to a Neurologist for my unexplained blackouts and strange, sudden pain in my left arm, my blood pressure didn't really concern my doctor though it was 162 over 99 quite often and he laughed at my concern over my cholesterol being 252. He had been physician for my mother and my grandmother and neither of them had heart disease so I didn't need to worry. My annual physical yielded nothing to concern him and the very next day, not even 24 hours later, I was being treated for a near fatal MI (Myocardial Infarction aka Heart Attack).

If your physician ignores your symptoms, don't be afraid to insist you be examined for possible heart disease. Because most women are misdiagnosed and left to suffer heart attacks with little chance of getting the necessary help within the first six minutes, we die and no one is left to fight the fight against the number one killer of women.

This Friday, Go Red with your wardrobe! Whether it's a red dress, a red T-shirt, a red dress pin or red lipstick, show the world you support Go Red For Women, the American Heart Association's movement to help save women's lives.

Every minute, some one's mother, daughter, wife or sister dies from heart disease and stroke in the United States. Reducing these diseases in women must become a national priority. Ask your lawmaker to support the HEART for Women Act. Women's lives depend on it.


14 comments:

  1. So sorry and hope you ave a better doctor. WE do have to be advocates for our own health and men do not, it seems. I am glad you are back an healthier than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a much better Primary Care Physician and the cardiologist is okay.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Long time and most of my damage to my heart has actually been caused by the doctors.

      Delete
  3. Hope your heart has a good Heart Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ST. Will wear Red tomorrow. February is Black History Month but it is also Heart Health month.

      Delete
  4. Heart disease runs rampant on my dads side of the family which is one more reason why I lost and am losing weight. So glad you got help in the 'nick of time'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding us of this great cause and to take care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too late for me to wear red, it's after 6pm here now, but I'll try to remember for next year.
    I'm planning a visit to my doctor soonish and shall ask about testing for heart disease. I visit a clinic and will see a different doctor each time though, so there's no real consistency. I used to ask for just one particular doctor, but he retired last year and since then I haven't had much reason to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Heart Sister for the reminder of what today means. Incredible that your doctor brushed off such red flag warning numbers. Being a woman means we can have much different symptoms. My pains were in my jaw and back. Think they are finally getting better about realizing how common heart disease is among women.Let's keep the health going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the tips, and congrats on being a lucky one who survived!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. How are you feeling now then Granny Annie? Did you have to have a stent put in or any treatment? Wishing you well and do take care. The healthcare system is broken. It is now disjointed and because everyone 'specializes' there is no more continuity of care. Often, you (now) have to 'push' the system for your own treatment and chart your own course. This takes effort to fight the 'system' and considerable energy...and not everyone can do it. I just 'saved' my mother (and I 'saved' my OWN son) by DEMANDING a chest x-ray when one was not offered or suggested. (...they both had undiagnosed issues; in my own son's case, when he was a boy, he actually had a undiagnosed collapsed lung.) Karen :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wholeheartedly support your cause GraAan. All women above 50 years must compulsorily have an annual health check which should necessarily include cardiac tests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not really surprised your doctor blew off your symptoms like that - I hear that all the time. I have a coworker who just had a seven inch tumor (malignant) in his thigh removed that his doctor brushed off as just a knot in his muscle when it was much smaller.

    I'm so glad you are OK!

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com